Friday, February 4, 2011

Meeting a Legend

I will finally meet my agent in person, in March, in New York City, in Greenwich Village. He is a legend in literary circles. I should know. I have read everything I can about him. Sterling Lord is one of those agents that does not advertise himself, or the agency named after him. He does not need to and, apparently, does not want to, but talk to anyone in the know, and you'll get the picture. I did, and I do.

I am excited, and I am a bit more than a little nervous. Mine is a clear case of "I am not worthy." Still, I am buoyed by the fact that he decided to represent me, so he must see something in my writing. He doesn't need more money, and his list of past and current clients is a Who's Who whose books have sold hundreds of millions of copies, and many of the stories have made it to the big screen.

This legend has taken the time to actually read my work and, incredibly, he has personally helped me edit that work. He is in his nineties, and he has spent precious time working with me. Little ole me.

I have made presentations to shareholders in the boardrooms of big corporations, negotiated hundred million dollar deals and worked on drilling rigs in the middle of guerilla territory in South America - child's play compared to meeting Sterling.

Should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment