Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Check

It's been on my desk for months. In fact, it is still in the same envelope with the Sterling Lord Literistic, Inc. logo emblazoned on the upper left hand corner. It is the check from my first book deal advance. Weird isn't it? I apparently value having it on my desk more than depositing the money into my account at the bank.

I will make the deposit later today. I will miss the comfort of seeing it there. It served a purpose lying there in plain site. It reminded me that I could do it. I could write, and I could do it well enough for Bloomsbury to pay me for it.

I guess I will now have to draw that comfort from the framed letter from Sterling - the one that reads:

"Dear Leigh,

Here is your copy of our representation agreement for your files.

I look forward to working with you for many years to come.

Best,

Sterling"


Or maybe I'll take a peak every now and then at the last line in my first book contract, where they welcome me to "Bloomsbury's List."

It's time to move on, I guess, but I'll miss seeing that check on my desk.

No comments:

Post a Comment