Sunday, July 29, 2012

Nyaaah...What's Up Doc?

Been a long while since my last post, but I've been busy. Time to catch up. As far as I know 'Avery McShane' is doing well. It's kinda hard to tell. Bloomsbury keeps the sales numbers close to the vest, but I am pretty sure it's selling well. I recently received a check from them with the second half of my advance, so they must feel confident that the advance is covered. I'm waiting to hear from them about when and if they want to move forward with the sequels. I've already given them two manuscripts to chose from. Also hope they'll find a publisher in the U.S. to sell the rights to. I think the book would do well here.

On another front, I sent 'The Pirates of Xingu' manuscript to market. Lot's of interest, especially from a major publisher in New York. Here's what they said:



June 12, 2012


Dear Leigh,


Thank you for submitting your manuscript The Pirates of Xingu to us. What a fantastic read! It is the first book in months that has made me gasp. You craft the adventure scenes deftly and seamlessly weave in moments of humor and emotional poignancy. The atmosphere is vivid, the characters well-drawn, and the momentum quick without overwhelming the reader. I see in this immense potential for a tight, riveting adventure story with emotional impact, complexity, and broad appeal. Should you be willing to engage in some revision, I would like to present to you some questions and observations for you to consider as you move towards another draft.


Of course, that paragraph was followed by three pages of comments and suggestions. They made some really good points. I turned in a new draft a couple of weeks later, and they liked what they saw. They will be sending me their next batch of suggestions in the next day or two. I think they'll make a move on the book. I hope so.

In the intervening time, I've turned my attention to 'Paleopeople' (and epic fantasy - sort of Lord of the Rings meets Journey to the Center of the Earth) and 'The Thief of Shadows' (sort of Harry Potter meets voodoo, set beneath the City of New Orleans). I'll be looking to get those out to agents and publishers in the near future. Just a few more tweaks, and they're ready.

That's the update. Hope you're all having a great summer. Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment